Favolaschia Calocera

I recently found this rare poroid mushroom whilst on holiday. In Britain the Orange Porecap is a recent introduction (or maybe the appearance of this sub-tropical species is the result of global warming); it is currently recorded in the UK from Devon and Cornwall.

This is a new invasive species and not generally listed as present in the UK. Favolaschia calocera, commonly known as the orange pore fungus, is a species of fungus in the family Mycenaceae. First observed in Madagascar, it has recently spread around the world and is now known from New Zealand, Italy, Australia, Hawaii, Venezuela, DR Congo, Tanzania, Zambia, Kenya,Thailand, China, Norfolk Island, Réunion Island, and Mayotte.

This striking pored member of the family Mycenaceae originated in Madagascar, from where it spread – presumably when timber was being shipped – to Australia and New Zealand. Over the past couple of decades the Orange Porecap has been spreading across Europe, and its range now includes parts of Italy and Spain.

Adventures in Mycology

I’ve been out photographing mushrooms again and this year’s proving to be a bumper one … I’ve spotted more than ever and you can see a selection looking at the images here.

Very excited to announce that I also found a rare/endangered Pink Ballerina Waxcap (Porpolomopsis Calyptriformis) on my travels around the area. Here she is :

One of the most beautiful of all the waxcap fungi, and now sadly quite rare in most of the countries where it is recorded, Porpolomopsis calyptriformis (until recently referred to more often the synonym Hygrocybe calyptriformis) is found on cropped, unfertilised grassland. This waxcap appears in late summer and autumn. These lovely waxcaps generally occur as solitary specimens or in very small and scattered groups. Occasionally they can be found in churchyards, but sheep-grazed upland commons on acidic soils are usually the best places to try.

Data Issues

So, no sooner than I declare everything’s working it goes and breaks.

Eagle eyed viewers might have noticed that a lot of the data entries on the main website pages were empty. This was caused a database issue and is now fixed.

Unfortunately, it coincided with my having emptied my study in order to redecorate it so I couldn’t fire up a computer in order to fix it for a few days. Obviously, this isn’t acceptable but, hey, my study looks great now and it’s never happened before…

Also, we had issues with the rain gauge which are now fixed. The field containing the rain gauge had a herd of cows in it so I decided to wait until they’d been moved before trying to diagnose the lack of recorded rain. This is because I promised the kids they could help and I didn’t think it was safe for them. Turns out a combination of muck, spiders, moss and a leaf were to blame. All cleaned and fixed now so we should see much better data going forwards.

Celebration

Today, Tuesday 22nd September 2020, is the first day I’m happy that every page looks okay and works as expected on the whole weather station. It’s a cause for celebration because, previously, there have always been odd parts which didn’t function as intended. Fingers crossed nothing breaks as I have more pages to add later this week…

Website Issues

I recently noticed that the Leavening Weather Station website had mysteriously started to mis-behave.

The menus stopped appearing on mobile devices and half of the graphs weren’t working at all … very strange.

I’ve finally got around to investigating today and, hurrah, I think it’s all okay again now. If you think it isn’t please let me know. If you think it is please let everyone else know 😉

Outage 14/06/20

So, Windoze 10 updates itself automatically last night, rebooted and then sat there asking me to confirm some account details; thus leaving the Weather Station offline all night. How annoying. Lucky I got up early and noticed it… All should be working again now including our weather forecast for Leavening which I’m just running again now 😉

Bridlington Tide Times

A long time ago I put a tide times for Bridlington page on the website. It had a table of times and heights as well as lunar information. More importantly I had a nice chart showing the tide information. Upgrading php sadly broke this page as something went wrong with a database query. After a good few hours trial and error I got it working again today so it’s now been added into the new-look website for your viewing pleasure 😉 You can see it here.

Website Update

Oh my goodness. The website has been down for a couple of weeks whilst I totally re-wrote it. A web-server upgrade broke a lot of my scripts and prevented lots of content from working correctly.

I’ve moved the whole thing onto another platform but it’s taking ages to get it working. Thank God for furlough 😉

Please bear with me, I’ll get everything working again as soon as I can.